Saturday, June 04, 2005

My New Approach to Strength and Conditioning

The pain in my quads is so bad I have to keep my legs out straight when i sit down. Some how two 53 pound cast iron balls with handles making me feel like I have barbed wire for muscles.
And I love every minute of it.
Up until this point my personal best for squats has been 305, thats what usually makes me feel like this. But after one day of escalting density training with two 53 pound kettlebells, I'm beat to hell. With a combined weight of 106, front squats, deadlifts and hack squats with half that weight should not be hurting me this much.
I've decided, after much deliberation, that I will now incoporate kettelbell workouts in to my weekly routine. A kettlebell is a cast iron ball with a flat bottom and a thick handle on the top. For centuries Russian and later Soviet and now Russian again strongmen trained with these evil devices. Cossacks, Soviet commandos, elite paratroopers and Olympic powerlifters flung these things around to tear their bodies apart and carve themselves out of marble.
Now the KBs are finally in the US. For guys like me, who spent their lives up until this point with barbells and old school exercises like the deadlift and floor press, the idea of throwing around a ball is tough to get used to. It took me six months to finally decide to even try KBs but once I did I was certainly impressed.
What makes the KBs so unique is that they offer a total body workout while at the same time isolating muscles. I know that sounds like a contradictory statement but its not. Because of the effort needed to move and lift the KBs different accessory muscle groups are recruited in order to sucessfully complete certain exercises.
My goal is to gain mass, become as big as I can while still maintaining functional strength to aid in my carreer as a fire/rescue professional. While KBs are good as a conditioning tool, nothing beats a good old fashion barbell workout. In an effort to have both strength and conditioning training, I have devised the following workout plan using both forms of equipment. This routine is grueling and can be painful at times but the results are fast. Since begining this routine I have noticed a significant increase in my military press strength. Previously this was my weakest exercise and I always dreaded sitting there and straining against a load that embarassed me. My bench press has also increased, sucessfully breaching a five and a half month plateau.
The workout runs as follows:

Day One:
Barbell Bench Press: 5x5
Kettlebell Floor Press: 5x5
Kettelbell Military Press: 5x5
Barbell Shrugs: 5x5
Kettlebell Renegade Rows: 5x5

Day Two:
Barbell Curl: 5x5
Skull Crushers: 5x5
Preacher Curls: 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press: 5x5

Day Three:
Leg Lifts: 5x5
Leg Curls: 5x5
Kettlebell Front Squats; 5x5
Kettlebell Deadlifts: 5x5
Kettelbell Hack Squats: 5x5

Day Four:
Kettlebell Swings: 2x20
Heavy Bag: 1.5, 2, 3 minute rounds

It is important to note that a day of rest in between each workout is not necessary but preferable. Day Four is primarily for recovery and cardio. Because of the physical nature of my job cardio for each day is not necessary but at least once a week is necessary to break the routine and aid in muscle regrowth. This cardio routine can be substituted with swiming or any other form of cardio work.
All of the kettelbell exercises and the barbell ones for that matter can be viewed and explained at http://www.bodybuilding.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home