Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Silent Guns and Murky Waters

EMT-Basic class takes up a good chunk of my time, so when I have a chance to go out for a day on the water. Last Friday I managed to go kayacking and free diving off of Jamestown with my brother. I loaded up the Tahoe and put in from Fort Wetherill, an old Navy/Marine Corps. emplacement from WWII.

The diving was exceptional, if a bit chilly. In retrospect, I should have probably worn a wetsuit, but the cold keeps you sharp. The water was a bit murky from an excess of silt and choppy conditions from the storm I was racing. The horrizon was one long raised bruise, bloated with the coming rain.

Jamestown offers a lot of trully amazing views, particullary of the bridge with the Naval War College in the background. The main view I was interested in, however, was from the top of an enscarpment outside of Fort Wetherill. Because of the water conditions, beaching my boat was a bit dicey. I had to ride a wave up onto a beach of smooth rocks and jump out before the undertoe pulled the craft back out. From there, my brother and I went climbing on a rock face that lead to the highest point of the cliffs surrounding the old fort. We were able to watch as the fog burned off at the begining of the day.

From there we paddled out of the relative safety of the harbor and into the channel for a run toward the bridge and Jamestown Harbor propper. A massive aircraft carrier swung at anchor with at least two 25 foot Coast Guard security boats, complete with bow mounted M-60 machine guns.

After watching two gigantic ocean going tugs manhandle the ship into position, we beached on a private club dock and went diving under the structure of the dock. Visibility was cloudy but the rock and debris garden under the wood pilings was an impressive collection of stones and glittering bottles.

Overall, the day was a well needed break from EMT and the stress associated with medical training.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home