Friday, August 19, 2005

Seeing is Believing

With a hundred and eighty hours of EMT training nearly behind me, all I have left in the course is the final practical and written final exam. That is, over course, after I go through the extrication training and go through countless more drills to become as close to perfect in my desired field as possible.
Every Monday and Wednessday night I have gone to the same auditorium and learned a myriad of skills that will allow me to help people who have expereienced some sort of of trauma or illness. I've read over a thousand pages, been tested with exams, any one of which could have been my ticket out of the class had I scored less than a seventy.
But now the end is in sight. In ten days I will take my classroom final and practical final. If I pass both I am eligible to take the state final at sometime in the future. The stress is certainly a potent factor at this point. I take self exams and study skill sheets nearly everyday. Obsecure facts about anatomy and physiology that elude me are looked up and drilled into my memory along with appropriate pulses, breathing rates, blood pressures and capillary refill rates. Everyday I'm studying something in order to pass my final exam.
Alot of it fits together so its not terribly bad but the amount of hours I sink into studying go well beyound the 180 of academy time.
In order to alleviate the stress of EMT studies, I upped my workout routine to punish my body as much as I'm punishing my brain with facts, figgures, procedures and interventions. My routine ressembles that of the Russian Cossacks in its simplicity and intensity. Despite the stress of my medical class, I've seen a dramatic increse in my bench press with a current maximum of 195 pounds. My deadlift has gone up to 235, and will increse as soon as I return to school and have the benfit of more plates.
While the EMS academy has been a challenging experience, made even more intense by scuba diving training and search and rescue training, I feel that this summer has allowed me to grow and become better at my carreer in emergency service. With the end of EMT deliciously in sight, I'm confident in my abilities. Countless hours of study and training are leading up to the end of a course I have enjoyed very much---but will enjoy even more after its finished.
All of the stress and hours of training have been more than worth it. I accomplished more than I would have ever thought possible this summer. The Roger Williams EMS Acadmey mantra is "Envision yourself in the career you want, if you can't than you won't finish this course." The dirrector of the academy told us that countless times, and now I can honestly say that I can see myself as a firefighter EMT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home