Sunday, August 28, 2005

Finally

One hundred and eighty hours of class have come to a close. After an all day practical/senario exam in which we tested all of our EMT skills and reasoning abilities, we were awarded our class completion certificates. While we still have to pass a national exam for licensure, the hard part is over. Out of forty candidates for EMT, only seventeen of us were able to complete the class, two actually failed out on the day of the practical exams.
Even though I'm very glad to see the end of what was quite possibly the most difficult class I have ever taken, I am saddened by the fact that I will not be able to spend as much time with the friends I made. Going through such a stressfull experience creates very strong bonds. Having spend every Monday and Wednessday and more Saturdays than I care to count, going over the meat and potatoes of emergency care has left me weary yet eager to put my skills to use in the field. I find myself getting restless, waiting for my pager to go off with the big one that will allow me to go out and do all of the new things that I learned.
I decided to become a full time firefighter, despite going to college for a degree in English/Education. I have nothing against teaching, I've just come to the conclusion that it is not for me. My whole life, I've been trying to repress the fact that deep down, I wanted to be a public safety professional.
It wasn't until becoming a fulltime firefighter actually appeared doable that I decided that it was what I trully wanted to do. The plan had always been to be a teacher and a part time firefighter. But when I thought about it, the summers I would have had off would have been spent working as a firefighter. I came to the realization that that I was meant to be a firefighter, I'm meant to be an emergency responder, not just because I enjoy it but because I find it so fullfilling. Not only do I want to do it, I need to. I just wouldn't be happy or satisified doing anything else.
With EMT class finally over, I am ready to begin using my new skills. But with my new training comes new responsibility. On Holden, part time firefighters are only required to keep a First Responder licensce, the certification I used to hold. Now, as an EMT, I am the second highest level of care that a patient can receive in the field. My new training allows me to do a good deal more than First Responders, it will also make finding full time employment that much easier as prospective departments will not have to give me training I already had.
Finally, things are on their way to going as they always should have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home