Sunday, October 16, 2005

Trusting Yourself

In order to complete the Mass Firefighting Academy's I/II program, you need to sucessfully complete a three level maze made of chicken wire, in pitch black, full turn out gear and ScottPack. While you're crawling around in total darkness, the instructors are watching you from infrared cameras.
The purpose of the maze is to build confidence in your ability to move around in your equipment. Small round holes, covered by manhole like lidsare scattered on the ceiling and floor throughout the maze. You need to go up three levels and find your way out before your air runs out. In order to complete the evolution, you need to safely navigate through holes designed to trip up your airpack. I never want to remove my pack in a hostile environment. I've never wanted to, I don't even like to loosen the straps to fit through obstacles. So I tried to force myself through the first. In the rim of the opening so I tried to drop my shoulder, hoping that I'd reduce my profile without taking off any gear. I managed to squeeze through and got my butt up on the next floor.
Total darkness has a way of making you feel either claustrophobic or absolutly at peace. Some people get all wigged out in the dark, start to see things or get nervous about what they can't see. I tend to like the darkness. My hands are my eyes and I can pick my way around by feeling my surroundings. Its kind of like a game, find your way out of the darkness in a bulky suit.
Its fun.
Firefighting, when done correctly, is fun. The maze is one of those fun activities. You have to rely on yourself and your abilities. No second guessing, just insticnt because anything else is unrealiable. When you're crawling around in the dark, trying to figgure out where the hell you are and whats going on, you can't be wondering if what you're doing is right. You have to know its right and trust your self. Trusting your ability is what will make you suceed in the maze and in a fire.
Any kind of doubt can get you in a bad place, if you start doubting what you're doing, you're not doing what your supposed to be. If your in the middle of darknes and start to wonder if you have what it takes, you're setting yourself up for failure. Training is what builds your ability to save lives and keep yourself safe. Its imprtant to realize that you have had the bes training possible and that yourtrust in that training will be paramount in your safety.
After I stumble my way through that maze, six minutes that felt like six hours, I have a new found respect for my training. I was able to find my way through three floors of total darkness. I managed to get through holes designed to trap me. I passed one evolution and look forward to a myriad more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home